A look back at the past month.
- WordPress configuration updates: I originally set up WordPress with Composer almost 4 years ago, most likely using a tutorial that I can no longer find. Trying to make a small change recently turned into a full refactor. I was able to remove some unnecessary settings and dependencies. These articles were helpful:
- Future remote work: Had a conversation with Jan, Jon, and Keith about remote work at K-State going forward. I’m hoping that working from home will be a permanent option.
- New website versioning: Changed the versioning of natedillon.com to better reflect the website history before I was using version control. I changed from traditional semantic versioning (
v3.5.0) to versioning based on the year the site was launched (
v2019.5.0). The one potential problem is if I want to release two major versions in the same calendar year.
- My website: Continued working on a new design.
- Link blog: Spent some time setting up a section on my blog for links and exploring options for saving links.
- Notion: I’m trying to give Notion a real try for organizing projects. Before Notion, I had been using a combination of Day One for notes, Trello for my project board, and Things for my day-to-day tasks. Right now I kind of see Notion replacing Day One and Trello.
- K-State Admissions Representatives: Released v1.1.0 with the new API.
- Zoom branding: Started design work on v2 of the K-State Zoom branding page. We are planning to move all the content into the K-State CMS and just leaving the basic Zoom buttons/links.
- axe-con: Attended axe-con, a virtual accessibility conference.
- Vaccines: My wife and I were able to get our first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine!
- Sick kitty: Our cat, Hitch, had surgery to remove a cyst on his foot. Because he’s getting pretty old, he did not handle the surgery well and nearly died a few days after. After a few more trips to the vet, he seems to be on the road to recovery now.
- The NHL is returning to ESPN in the fall, and I’m super excited!
- Went into the office for the first time in nearly a year
- Filed our taxes 🎉
- Yard work season has begun 😞
6 books finished in 2020, 1 behind schedule for my 2021 goal.
- Finished Mostly Harmless
- Finished Don’t Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
- Started For Your Joy
- Started Ready Player Two
- ShopTalk Show
- 453: Streaming Hardware, Babel Thoughts, Power Washing Websites, and a Desk Update
- 454: All About Vite with Evan You
- 455: A Day in Our Lives at Work, Envisioning Conferences Again, and the Benefits of Netlify
- 456: WordPress Block Editor, ElementInternals, Writing Code or Leading a Team, and Container Queries
- The CSS Podcast
- Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend
- Puck Soup
- The Hunger Games
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins
- Raya and the Last Dragon
- Coming 2 America
- Ice Age: Continental Drift
- The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
- Iron Man
- Last Week Tonight
- DuckTales (2017) — One of my favorite shows the past few years, and I’m sad to see it end 😢
- WandaVision — A weird, fun show
I watched a lot of hockey (mostly in the background while doing other things).
- 03-02: Penguins-Flyers
- 03-04: Penguins-Flyers
- 03-06: Penguins-Flyers
- 03-07: Penguins-Rangers
- 03-09: Penguins-Rangers
- 03-11: Penguins-Sabres
- 03-13: Penguins-Sabres
- 03-15: Penguins-Bruins
- 03-18: Penguins-Devils
- 03-20: Penguins-Devils
- 03-21: Penguins-Devils
- 03-24: Penguins-Sabres
- 03-25: Penguins-Sabres
- 03-27: Penguins-Islanders
- 03-29: Penguins-Islanders
- NHL 21 (PS4)
- Pokémon Trading Card Game
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (PC, Steam)
- Red Dead Online (PC, Steam)
- Ghost of Tsushima (PS4) — I thought I was getting near the end of this only to realize I had only seen about a third of the map for the game so far
- Fortnite (PC, Epic Games)