Notes from my week.
- Fixed an issue with Docker (which broke for me after the latest update to the desktop app). There is a known issue with the Apple M1 CPU, and the fix is to set the platform as
linux/amd64. I did this by exporting the
DOCKER_DEFAULT_PLATFORMenvironmental variable in my
.zshrcfile as suggested in a Stack Overflow answer. I’m not sure if this made a difference, but I also switched to the old version of Docker Compose in the Docker app.
- Continued working on my dotfiles. I finished my new installer, but I still have a lot of work to do.
- Josie got her glasses this week. I was hoping my kids would be able to go longer than I did without needing glasses, but Josie is the exact same age I was when I got my first glasses.
- Had a nice visit from my mom this weekend. The kids really enjoyed spending some time with her.
- Swirling Clay Landscape Sculptures
- This Raspberry Pi add-on lets you control Lego robots
- Wyze’s new Video Doorbell Pro costs $65 and promises six months of battery life
- The Sounds from Mars
- The Design of TV Key Art
- Facebook is planning to rebrand the company with a new name
- The PS5 is the first console to outsell the Nintendo Switch in nearly three years
- Apple Music might be coming to PS5
- The Ncase M1, a crowdfunded marvel of a PC case, has been discontinued
- FDA clears boosters for Moderna and J&J COVID-19 vaccines
- Uncharted’s first movie trailer is full of very familiar action
- Razer’s futuristic Zephyr mask is available today, starting at $99.99
- Razer launches its own PC components with liquid coolers, case fans, and power supplies
- The Simpsons Library
- Microsoft fixes Windows 11 AMD CPU performance issues with new update
- Home Alone is now a $250 Lego set, and it might be the most impressive fan-inspired model yet
- Genie Plus lets you skip lines at Disney World, but fans aren’t happy about it
- How to use iOS 15’s new Focus modes
- Dave Rupert — My pre-publish blogging rituals
- Watch the first trailer for the GTA remastered trilogy, launching November 11th
- Bonsai Browser
- An HD Walking Tour of the Giza Pyramids
There was a lot of news around the Apple event this week:
- The M1 chip saved the MacBook — but now Apple has to win back the Pros
- Apple announces third-generation AirPods for $179
- Apple’s second-gen AirPods got a permanent $30 price cut
- Apple Music’s new voice-only plan costs $4.99 per month
- Apple’s new M1 Pro and M1 Max processors take its in-house Arm-based chips to new heights
- Apple’s HomePod Mini gets three new color options
- Apple announces new 14-inch MacBook Pro with a notch
- Apple announces 16-inch MacBook Pro with new M1 Pro and M1 Max processors
- Apple’s new MacBook Pro has a notch
- Apple brings MagSafe 3 to the new MacBook Pro
- Apple’s new M1 MacBook Pros are the first with mini LED 120Hz refresh displays
- macOS Monterey is officially launching on October 25th
- macOS Monterey will have the old Safari tab design
- ShopTalk Show — 485: Building Websites Now vs 1996, Vue 3, Picking a CMS, and Writing a Book with URLs
- Syntax — 397: Hasty Treat – Handy Utility Functions with Just
- Syntax — 398: Potluck — Coding for Kids × MongoDB Hosting × NoMoreFoo × Best Cities for Dev Jobs × GraphQL Resolvers × Package Security × Prototypes and Portfolios × More!
- What is DevOps? with Jeff Smith
- Continued Iron Gold
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- NHL: Penguins-Stars
- Robin Hood
- Spider-Man: Homecoming
- NCAA football: K-State-Texas Tech — Great comeback win for the Cats!
- NHL: Penguins-Maple Leafs — An unexpected blowout of the Leafs with a depleted lineup.
- NFL: Chiefs-Titans
- Thor: Ragnarok
- Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
- NHL 21 (PS4)