Notes from my week.
- Two snow storms this week. Last week it was 80 degrees. 🤷♂️
- We spent a good amount of time organizing and re-arranging things in our house. We’re trying to complete some long overdue downsizing.
- Had some team discussion about using
git rebaseinstead of merging code. I have some thoughts on this that I still need to process.
I ended the week with a somewhat last-minute trip to Kentucky. I joined the Maker’s Mark Ambassador program in May 2015, getting my name on a new barrel of bourbon. In October, after over six years of waiting, my bourbon was ready, and it was time to make the trip to Loretto to pick it up. My brother and sister made the trip with me, and the seven-and-a-half-hour drive from Kansas City to Louisville gave us a lot of time to talk.
It was a short trip, staying only two nights in Kentucky, but we had a good time. We did the Maker’s Mark distillery tour. I bought a couple of bottles of bourbon from my barrel, and we were able to do the “dip the bottles in wax” thing, the final touch for the Maker’s Mark packaging.
We were also able to spend some time in downtown Louisville and Whiskey Row, look at the Victorian mansions in Old Louisville, do a bourbon tasting at Heaven Hill, and eat some good food along the way. On the way home, we stopped at the Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial, visited the Gateway Arch in St. Louis (my brother’s first time), and grabbed some Jeni’s ice cream.
- NHL unveils fresh new look for its postseason; first makeover in 13 seasons includes ‘reimagined’ Stanley Cup logo
- Russian Bear Steps on Ukrainian Lego
- Did Dua Lipa Plagiarize Levitating?
- Internet backbone provider shuts off service in Russia
- Another US internet backbone provider is shutting down services in Russia
- Visa and Mastercard suspend their services in Russia
- Netflix shuts down its services in Russia
- The Muppets’ house band is getting its own Disney Plus show
- Google says Chrome’s latest update is faster than Safari
- NHL suspends dealings with Kontinental Hockey League, tells its clubs to cease contact with Russia-based organization
- GTA V on PS5 will cost just $10, but only until June
- Apple iPhone SE gains 5G, A15 processor, and a higher $429 price tag
- The iPhone 13 and 13 Pro each get green finishes
- Apple announces updated iPad Air with M1 processor and 5G
- Apple announces new flagship M1 Ultra desktop processor for its most powerful computers
- Apple’s Mac Studio is a new desktop for creative professionals
- Apple announces 27-inch 5K Studio Display for $1,599
- iOS 15.4 is set to release next week
- Apple brings the darkness back to its peripherals with a black trackpad
- Apple’s new M1 Ultra aims to beat Nvidia’s RTX 3090
- The Hidden Secret in a Famous Painting
- Sanctions Would Bite Russia Harder with Pro-Transparency Finance Reforms
- Dave Rupert — Vibe Check №14
- Here’s why Apple put a powerful iPhone chip in its new Studio Display
- How Did This Many Deaths Become Normal?
- What’s on your desk, Vjeran Pavic?
- The first trailer for Obi-Wan Kenobi teases the ultimate Star Wars rematch
- PlayStation is suspending all hardware and software shipments in Russia
- The Winners of the 2021 World Nature Photography Awards
- Shipwreck Endurance is still ‘bold and beautiful’ after a century in Antarctic waters — Also: Ernest Shackleton’s Ship Found After 106 Years
- ShopTalk Show — 505: Passing Props, Node Shipped Fetch, Digital Rot, and Making CodePen a PWA?
- Continued Atomic Habits
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- NHL: Penguins-Panthers
- Station Eleven
- Turning Red
- Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4/PS5)