Notes from my week.
- I’ve been giving Apple Fitness+ a try. I’ve mostly done yoga to (hopefully) help with my back pain, and so far I like it! The workouts seem very approachable.
- The kids went to Girl Scout camp at the end of the week, and my wife volunteered to help as well. It was weird having an empty house for a couple of days.
- Some local development issues slowed me down as I wasn’t able to run the npm install or update commands. Initially, I fixed it by upgrading our app to Node 16, but that came with a lot of additional issues. We’ll have to get everything upgraded eventually, but it looks like we’ll have to stick with what we have for now.
- We celebrated my Dad’s 69th birthday! 🎉
- PlayStation 5 controllers have been on sale, so I bought one in the new-ish Galactic Purple color. 😍
- I also learned PlayStation gift cards cannot be used on playstation.com to purchase controllers or other hardware. 🤷♂️
- We had a tornado scare on Saturday near our house (they later called it “straight line winds”, not a tornado). The storm did several millions of dollars worth of damage to properties around town, and knocked down several trees in our neighborhood). We’re very thankful for our basement. 🌪
- After years of somehow surviving on the free iCloud storage, I finally broke down and upgraded our plan. I didn’t realize that Apple doesn’t add the free storage on top of the upgraded storage, so for a family of four, the 50 GB plan only adds 30 GB of additional storage.
- Return to the Hunger Games universe with the first teaser for the prequel movie
- The first US Super Nintendo World is set to open in ‘early’ 2023 with a Mario Kart AR ride
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered is coming to PC in August
- Stray, the cyberpunk cat simulator, is now coming out in July
- Introducing GitHub Skills
- Horizon, Resident Evil Village, and more are coming to PlayStation VR2
- Dave Rupert — Vibe Check №17
- Ethan Marcotte — Parts, parcel.
- Wednesday’s first trailer is here to get you through yet another Monday
- Ted Lasso’s next season might be its last
- USB-C will be mandatory for phones sold in the EU ‘by autumn 2024’
- Wyze’s new smart scale features modes for babies, pets, and luggage
- GitHub — Introducing Achievements: recognizing the many stages of a developer’s coding journey
- The Vivaldi browser launches a free built-in email client that integrates its Calendar and Feed Reader
- Nope’s final trailer reveals true horror Jordan Peele’s been hiding this whole time
- The Last of Us Part I remake plans leaked, coming to PS5 in September and PC someday
- US no longer requires COVID test for travelers flying into the country
- Firefox and Chrome are squaring off over ad-blocker extensions
- Duke Nukem is getting a movie from some guys who could actually pull it off
- The delight is in the details of Drop’s new DCX keycaps
- On this date in Penguins history: A great day for hockey in Pittsburgh
There was a lot of Apple news from WWDC this week.
- Apple iOS 16 brings massive improvements to lock screen and messages
- Live Activities is a new iOS 16 feature meant to improve notifications
- iOS 16 will let you edit and even unsend texts in Messages
- watchOS 9 introduces new running metrics and medication reminders — No support for my Series 3 watch 😢
- Apple announces new flagship M2 processor
- Apple’s Fitness app will be included with iOS 16, no Apple Watch required
- Apple’s CarPlay is going beyond the infotainment screen
- Apple announces all-new Home app
- Apple adds new atrial fibrillation feature to watchOS 9
- Apple announces redesigned MacBook Air with M2 chip and MagSafe
- Apple announces macOS Ventura with new Stage Manager organization tool
- Apple’s tiny charger for the new MacBook Air has an extra USB-C port
- Apple adds medication tracking feature to the Health app
- iPadOS 16 takes a step closer to laptop-level multitasking
- You’ll soon be able to use an iPhone as a Mac webcam
- Apple’s Weather app is finally coming to iPad
- Apple demos Safari’s ‘passkeys’ support in macOS Ventura that will help bring an end to passwords
- Face ID for iPhone will work in landscape in iOS 16
- Apple is finally putting the Apple Watch Series 3 out to pasture
- iOS 16 lets you turn on haptic feedback for your iPhone’s keyboard
- Apple is finally adding some of Gmail’s best features to its own email apps
- Apple will make USB-C accessories ask for your permission to pass data
- Apple’s Rapid Security Response will push faster updates that install on Macs without a reboot
- Apple finally lets you see your Wi-Fi network’s password in iOS 16
- Apple’s Screen Time gets a handy new feature, but parental controls can be better
- iOS 16 fixes annoying reaction texts in ‘green bubble’ message groups
- Apple explains how it’s making your iPhone a full-fledged webcam for your Mac
- Continued Progressive Web Apps
- NHL Stanley Cup playoffs
- Stranger Things — Started season 4
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered (PS5) — I finished the main story. I’ve been trying to get all the trophies, but some of the challenges seem to be too difficult to make it worth the time.
- Team Sonic Racing (PS4/PS5)
- Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl (PS5)
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (PC, Steam)
- Fortnite (PC, Epic Games)