Highlights from my week.
- I’ve probably said this before, but… Netlify is amazing! I love being able to just drag a directory of front-end code into the browser to deploy to a public website. I used to do something similar for sharing work in progress with Dropbox before they disabled the feature.
- We’re roadblocked on our Vue project right now, so I had to switch gears a bit and do some design work. It’s been a while. The design was pretty straightforward, so I was able to get most of it done pretty quickly.
- Sadly, my Penguins were eliminated from the NHL playoffs (and also lost the draft lottery). I’ve still been watching as much hockey as I can though, and I caught most of the Lightning-Blue Jackets 5 overtime thriller the other night. It was the fourth longest game in NHL history. I watched the third longest game while I was at college.
- I finished reading a few books this week: Smuggler’s Cove: Exotic Cocktails, Rum, and the Cult of Tiki, A Loving Life: In a World of Broken Relationships, and Everyday Information Architecture.
- I got really into exotic cocktails a few years ago, and I’ve been making quite a few this summer as I was reading through the Smuggler’s Cove book. I got a copy of Beachbum Berry’s Sippin’ Safari for my birthday and have started digging into it this week.
- The LEGO Movie (👍👍)
- Atomic Blonde (👍👎)
Podcasts I’ve been listening to this week:
- CSS Podcast — 016: Borders — Even after 15+ years of working with CSS professionally, this podcast always seems to teach me something new (or at least remind me of things I forgot).
- ShopTalk Show — 425: Tailwind, Where to Find Inspiration, SVG Corrections, and Web Workers
- Smashing Podcast — What is Serverless? with Chris Coyier — Very relevant to a project I’m currently working on.
- Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend — Jim Carrey
- Laws of UX
- The UX of LEGO Interface Panels
- Discipline — A macOS Big Sur icon pack
- VoteByMail makes it easier to request a mail-in ballot ahead of the election
- Have I Been Pwned — which tells you if passwords were breached — is going open source
- Disney World will reduce park hours beginning in September — As a big Disney fan, I’ve been keeping an eye on how the parks are doing during the pandemic, and this news means that demand is pretty low right now.
- Study Suggests That Some Masks Are Much Better than Others
- Mozilla is laying off 250 people and planning a ‘new focus’ on making money — Bad news for Mozilla. I recently switched to Firefox for my development work and have been enjoying it.
- Tackling Authentication With Vue Using RESTful APIs
- Best practices for REST API design