Notes from my week.
- Our internet died on Wednesday for most of the day. My hotspot worked well for a while but then got pretty slow in the afternoon.
- Had a fun Independence Day weekend. We took the kids swimming and lit (very few) fireworks (we are not a big fireworks family).
- We took our kids to the fireworks show in Wamego for the first time. This was a big deal because the show doesn’t start until 10, way past their normal bedtime. The fireworks in Wamego are supposedly the best in Kansas, and it’s crazy how close you can sit to where they light them off.
- We had a scary moment in the evening before the fireworks. Our oldest daughter fainted while standing in line for shaved ice. It was super hot, so she may have been dehydrated. My wife thinks maybe she was also locking her legs for too long, which can cause fainting (something she remembers from her marching band days). It also probably didn’t help that we had just watched a kid spew on the sidewalk right next to us. Anyway, we got her cooled down and she seemed fine after that.
- Sidney Crosby on Cole Harbour’s other favorite son winning the Stanley Cup
- How to Temporarily Disable Face ID or Touch ID, and Require a Passcode to Unlock Your iPhone or iPad
- Gowalla, Foursquare and the (very) brief history of the Location Wars — I really miss the old Gowalla.
- A CLS punishment for progressive enhancement?
- Hocus Pocus 2 teaser brings back The Sanderson sisters, 29 years later
- Report: Apple is gearing up to launch a ‘flood’ of new devices starting this fall
- Apple’s entry-level MacBook Pro M2 has slower SSD speeds than its M1 counterpart
- You should probably skip the base M2 MacBook Pro model
- Google Hangouts is shutting down in November
- Apple says iPads will keep working as home hubs in iPadOS 16, but there’s a catch
- Sony’s InZone gaming monitors and headsets are for more than just PS5 gamers
- 1x Engineer
- Sam Rockwell and Saoirse Ronan sleuth after a serial killer in first trailer for See How They Run
- 1Password now lets you securely share files and documents with just a link
- 1Password will help you remember which ‘sign in with’ service you used
- Biden administration launches $1 billion effort to correct racist highway designs of the past
- COVID-19 booster shots should target omicron variants, FDA says
- COVID-19 variant boosters won’t need new clinical trials for clearance, FDA says
- The Supreme Court just took away an EPA tool to fight climate change — what happens next?
- Steve Jobs awarded posthumous Medal of Freedom by President Biden
- 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs Closing Montage
- The unpleasant essentials
- Baseicons — Basic icons for product design & development
- Sprint’s network has been officially retired
- Disney’s Splash Mountain to be renamed Tiana’s Bayou Adventure — I’m generally excited for the new theming, but I will miss the old name.
- ShopTalk Show — 521: GitHub Actions with Rizèl Scarlett and Brian Douglas
- Syntax — 476: Browser CSS Page Transitions API aka Shared Element Transitions
- Smashing Podcast — Is Sass still relevant? with Stephanie Eckles
- The Stack Overflow Podcast — 456: Living on the Edge with Netlify
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone — My oldest daughter just finished the book, and this was the first time our kids watched the movie.
- Stranger Things — Finished season 4
- DuckTales (2017)
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5)
- NHL 22 (PS5)